Individual membership is open to those who are or have been engaged in the custody, study, teaching, or control of records, archives, or private papers, or who wish to support the objectives of the Society. Individual Full members are eligible:
- To hold office in SAA.
- To hold any appointed position in the Society.
- To vote for officers, councilors, and members of the Nominating Committee.
- To vote on all matters requiring a vote that come before the Society as a whole.
- To be members of constituent units of SAA.
- To receive the benefits of the Society's programs and services
Annual dues for individual members are:
- $80 part-time
- $105 for those earning $20k-$29k per year
- $133 for those earning $30k-$39k per year
- $164 for those earning $40k-$49k per year
- $206 for those earning $50k-$59k per year
- $233 for those earning $60k-$74k per year
- $265 for those earning $75k-$89k per year
- $292 for those earning more than $90k per year
- $73 for retired persons
- $52 for “bridge-rate” as of January 2013; the Bridge Rate—available to renewing current members who are unemployed—has been extended from a one-year benefit to a benefit that may be exercised in two, nonconsecutive, years.